Pancakes are delicious. This is why 99% of us would love to start each day with a stack of pancakes topped with butter, bacon and maple syrup, or fruit, whipped cream and chocolate sauce. The dream right? What if I told you there is a slightly healthier option, that would allow us to eat pancakes more often?… Follow my lead, the recipe is this way!
As a pancake lover myself, who tries to stick to a healthy diet, I wanted to find a healthy alternative, that would not leave me thinking “still want a plate full of pancakes though”. Job done with this recipe. If you like courgettes, you will love this recipe too. Of course, these pancakes will not taste like “proper” pancakes, but they are as delicious, and allow you to have one of your 5 a day. It’s a win-win situation basically.
- 55g self-raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 courgettes
- Mix the flour, eggs & milk together in a bowl.
- Grate your courgettes and add them to the batter. Mix well, so the courgette is well coated in batter.
- In a hot & greased frying pan add 2 tablespoons of the mixture and flatten a little.
- Once bubbles start popping at the surface of your pancake and the bottom of your pancake is brown flip it (approximately 2 min)
- Cook the other side for an extra 2 minutes
Serve hot with some rocket, roasted cherry tomatoes & baked beans.
This recipe is perfect for brunch, but can also be done for lunch or dinner. You can also add a twist to these pancakes by adding chili flakes, sweetcorn or any other vegetable you like to associate courgettes with.
I also think it would be a great recipe to introduce courgettes to children.
What are your favourite pancake toppings? Would you try healthy alternatives to the original recipe?
For more recipes head over to Food & Drinks !
See you soon, love